Friday, November 30, 2007

Can't Catch Me, I'm the Gingerbread Man


When I found out that I was going to be the one to wear the Gingerbread Man costume for the Frederick County Khris Kringle parade I was not all that enthused. It was difficult to put on, it was difficult to move around, and when we got to our group’s location it was very difficult to put on. I couldn’t see and it was terrible hot. But when we walked across the parking lot of the Delaplaine Visual Arts Center we walked passed hundreds of kids.

There were at least twenty kids who immediately ran up to me and started to hug me. Others smiled and waved from a distant. Then something changed in my heart. Pastor scrooge’s heart got two sizes larger. I discovered that whenever children (and many adults) saw me they smiled and many even cheered.

As we walked down the streets of Frederick I gave children high five’s and ran back and forth from one side of the street to another. I gave hugs, patted children on the head, and even petted a dog (which is very dangerous for a gingerbread man). By the half way mark I was drenched in sweat, but I was having the time of my life. I knew what it was like to be “the chicken.” (www.famouschicken.com)

There was another thing that brought joy to my heart other than the smiles of children. The children from our own church handed out over 800 cards advertising our Gingerbread House Building Fun Morning at our church. That’s a lot of cards! They were wonderful.

0 comments:

Gospel Magic

Gospel Magic
how did he do that?

About Me

My photo
I am the father of four wonderful children and the husband of the best woman on the planet. I am pastor at Daybreak Community Church, check us out at www.daybreak-church.com. I also have a web site at www.drewboswell.com.

Connect With Drew

http://www.drewboswell.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/twitter.png

Aren't Getting Our Newsletter?

join our mailing list
* indicates required