Thursday, September 18, 2008

Frederick County Fair

Yesterday the Boswell clan made our annual trip to the Frederick County Fair. We took advantage of the “Car load special” that was for a low special rate of $50. Thank goodness of the special, imagine how much money we saved! We were shuttled from Lot D to the back of the fairground, I think this was my favorite ride of the night. We passed through the animal exhibits and talked with the 4-H kids who were diligently watching over their animals. Several of them told us it was ok for the kids to pet their animals (cows, sheep, horses, piglets, etc..), and we did. I also went through a forestry service exhibit that talked about collecting rain water runoff into a barrel for landscaping; I might look into this next summer as I am considering starting a hydroponic garden. I’m not sure how “green” our HOA is however.

Then it was time for the rides. I tried to ride as many of the rides as I could. Most of the “carnies” were cool with me doing that, but even I had to say no to the motorcycles. We rode just about every age appropriate ride and ended with chomping down on some deep fried Oreos (yeah I said Oreos, and how does a person invent this?) and a strawberry slurpie.

Isaac (our 16 month old) spent most of his time in a red wagon we took along for hauling “stuff.” I have noticed that the older the kids get the less stuff we have to haul – so this year we are down to a wagon full (half full of child, half full of stuff). Does this mean that eventually they will carry me around in a red wagon hauling my stuff?

I must say the most harrowing (fair themed word) time was the Ferris wheel. I get nervous when I think about how many times this thing has been taken apart and put back together, over who knows how many years. Then we take our whole family and load up into this thing. Then you consider a four year old, two six year olds, and a (what did I say earlier? Oh yeah) 16 month year old and their parents going hundreds of feet off the ground with no seat belts! It moves painfully slow, and the ride is forever long. But during our time Caleb said he could see California from it’s vantage point and Hannah-Grace said she could see the whole universe. I guess her seat was slightly higher than Caleb’s.

We got back to our urban assault vehicle (aka the minivan) covered in dust, some change in our pockets, and the kids were unconscious before we got out of the back 40 where we parked. It was a great experience, and next year I’m getting my own order of fried Oreos.




1 comments:

Drew Boswell said...

I just have to do this, sorry.
1) We were looking at piglets, not chickens.
2)Isaac is 17 months, not 16 months.
3)Deep Fried Oreos-- YUMMO! My new favorite dessert :)
Kimberly Boswell

Gospel Magic

Gospel Magic
how did he do that?

About Me

My photo
I am the father of four wonderful children and the husband of the best woman on the planet. I am pastor at Daybreak Community Church, check us out at www.daybreak-church.com. I also have a web site at www.drewboswell.com.

Connect With Drew

http://www.drewboswell.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/twitter.png

Aren't Getting Our Newsletter?

join our mailing list
* indicates required