Saturday, September 20, 2008

Firsts



Having four children “firsts” come at a blinding speed. First words, first steps, first time with out floaties, etc… And having twins sometimes what should be joyous times can be filled with some anxiety. For example Joshua seems to be having a lot of firsts lately. He has lost four teeth now, and Caleb has lost none so far (not even a loose one). Joshua is beginning to read quite well and Caleb is struggling a little bit. Homework time with Joshua is pleasant and takes about five minutes. Homework time with Caleb is like pulling teeth (not the loose kind).

Well today I was straightening the garage and Joshua said, “Dad, can you take the training wheels off my bike?” So I went about taking them off and we pushed the bike to the sidewalk. Well when Caleb saw what we were doing, he wanted to try it too. We took turns back and forth, Caleb and Joshua, going back and forth up and down the sidewalk. Well, you guessed it, Joshua got it pretty fast, Caleb hasn’t yet. After it became apparent that Joshua was getting it, Caleb went inside. After some time I went in and found him on the couch watching tv. I could tell he was a little bummed out. I tickled him and spent some time just playing and he brightened up. What should have been a jubilant event was weighted with some complexity.

The joy I find in the whole thing is that I was there when the training wheels came off and they tried their best to defy gravity. There will always be someone better than you, and sometimes you come in second. I guess it’s cool if it’s to your brother and together they can take risks side by side. I want to be there for as many of the firsts as I can, and I will try my best to make them all special.

0 comments:

Gospel Magic

Gospel Magic
how did he do that?

About Me

My photo
I am the father of four wonderful children and the husband of the best woman on the planet. I am pastor at Daybreak Community Church, check us out at www.daybreak-church.com. I also have a web site at www.drewboswell.com.

Connect With Drew

http://www.drewboswell.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/twitter.png

Aren't Getting Our Newsletter?

join our mailing list
* indicates required