Thursday, February 7, 2008

Developing a Character List For My Children

For some time now I have been burdened by the thought of what I wanted my children to be when they leave my home and are launched into their own independence. I’m not talking about being a doctor, teacher, or preacher, etc.. but what would they “be” on the inside? What would their character be like? As I began to construct this image of my future adult children, I knew that there would be things that I would need to teach them as the years go by. With three boys, what do they need to know to be godly men? And with Hannah-Grace, what must I teach her to be a godly woman?

There are some topics that need to be put off until the children are older, but there are other topics that need to be taught now. So as I began to pray about these things, I also began to search for resources that would help Kimberly and me in this effort. I know I have the Bible as our foundation, but is there someone out there that has put a list together that we could use as an example. So, I have to let you guys know about some new resources that I came across in this effort. The name of the company is Doorposts, and you can look them up at www.doorposts.net

They need a graphic arts overhaul, but the material is wonderful. I purchased some charts to put on our kitchen walls. One deals with discipline issues and the other deals with chores. I also purchased:

For Instruction in Righteousness (deals with how to disciple children)

Plants Grow Up (helps me in developing a list of what I need to teach the boys)

Polished Cornerstones (helps me in developing a list of what I need to teach H-G)

Goldie Doll (deals with how girls define beauty and look at themselves)

When You Rise Up (they gave me this book for free because I purchased over a certain amount).

Let me add one other comment to this discussion. From everything I can determine, this publisher seems to be geared toward “home school” parents. I can’t believe that I have not heard about this publisher before now. Are these topics things that only “home school” parents ask? I don’t think so. The back of their catalog says, “Doorposts is homeschoolers’ first choice in Bible and character training curriculum!” There are two other quotes supporting the quality of the material based upon homeschooler’s recommendations.

I’m not sure why this bugs me other than it seems to divide Christian families into those who home school, and the rest. The only way you hear about this material is if you are a home schooler, which doesn’t seem right to me. I really had to dig to find it. Is there an underlying philosophy of living the Christian life that has led this publisher to focus only on the homeschoolers? Any ideas?

2 comments:

Dr. Terry Portis said...

Denise and I have met this nice family, and I believe they are committed to helping anyone who could be blessed through their publications. However, my understanding is that they are essentially a home based "business" and they already greatly extend themselves by attending conferences all over the country and meeting with parents. Given their limited resources, they have chosen homeschool parents as their target audience.

Drew Boswell said...

Terry, I really did think about the fact that they may be catering to a niche market. If you have a business you have to focus on where you know you can make the sale. I am going to do my part in getting the world out to "non-homeschoolers" as well.

Gospel Magic

Gospel Magic
how did he do that?

About Me

My photo
I am the father of four wonderful children and the husband of the best woman on the planet. I am pastor at Daybreak Community Church, check us out at www.daybreak-church.com. I also have a web site at www.drewboswell.com.

Connect With Drew

http://www.drewboswell.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/twitter.png

Aren't Getting Our Newsletter?

join our mailing list
* indicates required