Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Teacher Conference

Monday evening was our first parent/teacher conference since our move to Brunswick. The school system sent an info sheet home which included some suggested questions and behavior that would make the meeting go smoothly. I found it humorous that they suggested that you compliment the teacher in some way in order to establish rapport.

I think I know where the origins of this piece of paper came from. Some where in the school’s past there had been a string of bad parent/teacher conferences and the basis of the problem was parents coming to the meeting unprepared, upset, uninformed, hurt feelings, etc… and things did not go well. So an administrator somewhere said, “why don’t we put together a list of suggested questions, comments, and how to “talk” with a teacher about their children.”


I just find it a shame that our society needs someone to tell us how to talk to each other. Whatever happened to courtesy, common respect for each other, or even just love for our neighbor?


Kimberly and I left the meeting encouraged, a list of things to work on with our boys, and a renewed high respect for professional educators.


Yes, we did use the sheet of paper, and we did ask some of their questions – it was helpful.

0 comments:

Gospel Magic

Gospel Magic
how did he do that?

About Me

My photo
I am the father of four wonderful children and the husband of the best woman on the planet. I am pastor at Daybreak Community Church, check us out at www.daybreak-church.com. I also have a web site at www.drewboswell.com.

Connect With Drew

http://www.drewboswell.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/twitter.png

Aren't Getting Our Newsletter?

join our mailing list
* indicates required