Monday, September 24, 2007

The Two Chapter Sixs

As a church staff we have recently read Mark Driscol’s book Radical Reformission and we are currently in the middle of Rob Bell’s book Velvet Elvis. In both of their books, chapter six seems to be their most radical chapters. For Driscol it is his acceptance and even encouragement to drink alcohol, specifically beer. For Bell, he seeks to show that heaven and hell will eventually be real places when Christians live this life in such a way to bring it about. Plus there are many other heretical statements peppered throughout the book. Bell also has a high respect for Jewish Rabbis and their traditions, but little respect and value for the Bible. Driscol on the other has a very high respect for Scripture and holds to orthodox concepts such as inerrancy and infallibility.

Is there a difference? You bet. I may not agree with Driscol’s view on alcohol, but I have heard him speak and heard his heart (and doctrine) and have absolutely no hesitation in standing beside him in order to reach our world for Christ. I have recently come to understand that if we cut off other brothers and sisters who are Christians, just because we disagree with them on a peripheral issue, it is analogous to cutting off our arm. As churches we end up hopping around, handicapped, bleeding, and we wonder why the world says, “no thank you.”

Bell on the other hand, by his teachings completely undermines Christianity by encouraging people to consider concepts about Christ that are foolish and ungrounded (see Genesis 3). We must show his book and such discussions for what they are – liberal theology that kills churches and changes the definition of the gospel from what Jesus and the disciples clearly taught.

Both argue for church culture to change, both say they desire to see people saved – but one is a serpent and one is a saint. Bottom line -- foundational doctrine is very important. Without a solid foundation, trampolines (with springs) collapse. (see Bells introduction).

2 comments:

spontaneous7 said...

Sounds like a correct and an incorrect living interpretation of .....
(1 Cor. 9:19-23).

Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings (1 Cor. 9:19-23).

In Truth & Love,
Your Brother in Christ Jesus,
Mark

Drew Boswell said...

thanks Mark -- right on!

Gospel Magic

Gospel Magic
how did he do that?

About Me

My photo
I am the father of four wonderful children and the husband of the best woman on the planet. I am pastor at Daybreak Community Church, check us out at www.daybreak-church.com. I also have a web site at www.drewboswell.com.

Connect With Drew

http://www.drewboswell.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/twitter.png

Aren't Getting Our Newsletter?

join our mailing list
* indicates required