Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Developing Creativity – Part Two

Last time we looked at that we when have a great idea, then we need to do something with it. I believe that nothing is more detrimental to creativity than fear, and asking “what if it fails?”

Our church began to have two services a couple of years ago and in one of our services I give a weekly “Children’s Message.” I love it! But there are 52 weeks in a year and they come around with extreme frequency. The question is “how do I creatively come up with 40 or more unique and interesting ways to tell an eternally impacting story?”

If I again boil down what I do, I am essentially a storyteller – how many different ways are there to tell a story. I tried puppets, magic tricks, objects lessons, games – the options are limitless. We generally think there is only one way to do what we do. But to try new things requires that you take some risk.

I never in a million years would ever have imagined that I would be a ventriloquist. But I purchased a puppet named Dusty and began to tell stories by dialoging with my new friend. It scared me to death, and yes there were some Sundays when things were not all that “polished.” But now I can open up my storyteller toolbox and have one extra tool.

This year I am excited to reveal my shadow puppet stage that I have put together. Yes I have already done puppets (Dusty rocks!) but now I am exploring different types of puppets. My point is, if you boil down what you do to its most basic level, and then explore that concept.

For Example: Pastor – Storyteller – puppets – shadow puppets

I don’t want to be known as “the puppet guy” but a storyteller. So, if that is happening (being known as “the puppet guy”) then I am not exploring other ways of telling stories with enough frequency. Get out there, take some risks, don't get stuck in a rut, and put some more tools in your toolbox.

0 comments:

Gospel Magic

Gospel Magic
how did he do that?

About Me

My photo
I am the father of four wonderful children and the husband of the best woman on the planet. I am pastor at Daybreak Community Church, check us out at www.daybreak-church.com. I also have a web site at www.drewboswell.com.

Connect With Drew

http://www.drewboswell.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/twitter.png

Aren't Getting Our Newsletter?

join our mailing list
* indicates required