Thursday, March 5, 2009

A Frayed Religion

This past Sunday we began a sermon series entitled “A Frayed Religion.” It is an expository series based on the book of Job. I have asked for eight volunteers to share how God has carried them through a very difficult time in their life and so far we have seven out of the eight weeks covered. Jenny B. started us off last Sunday and she did a wonderful ‘job.’ What made her testimony so powerful was that she was so transparent and honest, and gave God all the glory.

To be honest preaching this book is going to be very difficult for me. Even at 34, I still feel like I am young and have so much to learn about God. There are people in our congregation that have gone through such deep and debilitating life crises that anything I have been through seems quaint. So I point them to Job and his suffering and to a God who love them, and I get out of the way.

I have finished my sermon for Sunday (chapter two) and there is so much there. It feels like a burden that I have to get off my chest; like a burning in my chest. It is also like throwing a handful of darts in the air knowing that the darts will fall in the crowd and cause pain for those they hit. But there is no way of knowing who the darts will fall on. The study of the book will cause grief for some and prayerfully will be a healing balm for others.

Job is such a beautiful book; I pray that I will do it justice as a preacher.

Here's the order:
March 1st, Job 1
March 8th, Job 2
March 15th, Job 3-14
March 22nd, Job 15-21
March 29th, Job 22-31
April 5th, Job 32-37
April 12th, Easter
April 19th, Job 38:1-42:6
April 26th, Job 42:7-17

0 comments:

Gospel Magic

Gospel Magic
how did he do that?

About Me

My photo
I am the father of four wonderful children and the husband of the best woman on the planet. I am pastor at Daybreak Community Church, check us out at www.daybreak-church.com. I also have a web site at www.drewboswell.com.

Connect With Drew

http://www.drewboswell.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/twitter.png

Aren't Getting Our Newsletter?

join our mailing list
* indicates required