Monday, May 26, 2008

The Venue

Tonight we experimented with a new ministry called "The Venue." Daybreak has a desire to reach the 18 to 29 year olds who don't seem to have a church to call their own. So we brought in four bands and they blasted their music at deafening decibels. In between songs they would share what Christ meant to them and the only thing that would have made it better were if we knew what the words were. Perhaps the youth knew but because I am over 29 I can no longer recognize such things (which means that I am mature now -- I guess). We served free food and drinks and the bands sold their "merch."

The night was winding down so I decided to head home and help Kimberly get ready for H-G's birthday party tomorrow. I had been home for about five minutes when Donna S. called me and was asking for help. One of the bands had a smoke machine which set off the fire alarm, which we have no clue how to turn it off. There were no instructions anywhere. I instructed them over the phone as best I could, but no luck. So I jumped in the car and headed back; the firemen figured out how to turn the extremely obnoxious screeching alarms off. After cleaning up and locking up, we left the building hoping that no more alarms will go off.

Over all the experience was exhausting and stressful, but worth it. We were able to share Christian testimonies to over 100 kids and parents. But next time we will know ahead of time how to turn the alarm off.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not against bands, but I am all for passing out ear plugs to protect hearing at concerts.

Tiny hair cells in the inner carry sound. Loud music (for longer than 10 minutes) permanently damages those cells. There is no "pill", or therapy to regrow them. It is much like walking through a field of tall grass... you walk through it a great deal and the grass lays down and becomes a permanent path. The "grass" never pops back up, it's dead!

Read more about it at: http://www.fda.gov/fdac/reprints/ots_ears.html


I'm all for offering great "venues" for the younger crowd and believe concerts are a great way to reach them. I'd love to see us act responsibly, however, and offer free earplugs at the door! They'll still hear the music, but protect their hearing at the same time.

DeniseP
(Someone who HAS sensorineural deafness)

Drew Boswell said...

Denise,
Great idea! And I did bring my own and an extra pair for a friend. It probably would be a responsible thing to give a psa about it. The bands themselves need to hear it the most since they expose themselves to the music (and volume) very often.
thanks for the comment.
Drew

Gospel Magic

Gospel Magic
how did he do that?

About Me

My photo
I am the father of four wonderful children and the husband of the best woman on the planet. I am pastor at Daybreak Community Church, check us out at www.daybreak-church.com. I also have a web site at www.drewboswell.com.

Connect With Drew

http://www.drewboswell.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/twitter.png

Aren't Getting Our Newsletter?

join our mailing list
* indicates required