Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Daybreak Kids at Centrikid


The Daybreak kids are at Centrikid this week. This is a Southern Baptist Camp that is designed just for kids and is a five day experience that encourages children to live for Jesus and asks them the question, "In light of who God is, how should I then live?" In the pictures to left, Elise P. was chosen from our group to participate in the "Party" which is a large group game time. She did awesome, but was scared to death to be in front of hundreds of kids performing a cup relay.

Joshua and Caleb made a new friend (Sam) who is from another church that joined us for the trip.

The day included checking in, swimming (76 degrees – brisk baby!), eating burgers off the grill with all the fix'ns, a short hike, settling into their rooms, Party Time, small group Bible study, and church devotion time. My boys are not used to such a past paced schedule but they love it.

During an adult meeting the leader of the time asked, "What do you want your kids to get from this experience?” Which is a fair question, after all it cost $260 dollars per kid, and many groups traveled from as far as North Carolina. In the break neck speed of life we move from experience to experience, duty, obligation, family stuff, and on and on we go.

Planning and evaluation, even expectation of things to come are very important concepts to consider. The leader above may have been trying to fill time with the adults while our kids were having their “group Bible Study” but I believe she has had asked a very deep question.

With Joshua and Caleb, I want them to have a blast at a “church event.” I want them to see older teens and college aged students leading and living out a solid Christian life. I want them to hear about Jesus to be taught solid doctrine, and to grow to love Jesus more. I want them to be changed – no small task for a camp experience.

Today is their first full day of Centrikid, let’s see how it goes.

2 comments:

Carissa said...

As a parent sending their child to camp, I asked myself the same question. Why do I want to spend this money for my child? I too want her to see Christ lived out in front of her in a way that she would want to have in her own life. I want her to her about Christ's love for her. I want her to grow in her relationship with God. Because, while I want Jules and the rest of the kids to have a good time (and I think they all will!)...that's not the reason we sent them.

Drew Boswell said...

Carissa,
It is so encouraging to know that we have parents that are more concerned about truthfulness and doctrine, than lights shows and "coolness." She is having a great time, creating deeper friendships, and (more importantly) she is being taught of Christ's love for her and how much He loves her.

Thanks for commenting.

Gospel Magic

Gospel Magic
how did he do that?

About Me

My photo
I am the father of four wonderful children and the husband of the best woman on the planet. I am pastor at Daybreak Community Church, check us out at www.daybreak-church.com. I also have a web site at www.drewboswell.com.

Connect With Drew

http://www.drewboswell.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/twitter.png

Aren't Getting Our Newsletter?

join our mailing list
* indicates required