Thursday, April 29, 2010

Bus Stop Evangelist (part three)

I came home from work day before yesterday to Kimberly saying, "the principal called today." I said, "hold on, let me put my stuff down." So I then went into the kitchen, sat down and Kimberly told me the story. As the kids were leaving the house that morning they had all asked for cards to give to their friends to invite them to come to church. So I dug through my "stuff" and pulled out several for each of them, and off they went to get on the bus. Apparently, as they were in route to school a boy on H-G's bus had emptied the contents of his backpack, unzipped it and placed it upon his head. She then told him to take it off or he was going to die (or get hurt we can't get the story straight). She then handed him a sermon series card from our church entitled "parenting under attack" and went on her way, and invited him to come.

For some reason the boy's mother became aware of this conversation and the boy's being "proselytized" and went to the principal saying something about separation of church and state. The principal went to H-G in her classroom and demanded all the rest of the religious propaganda (too late she had already infected others with her zealous hateful propaganda). -- I know I'm starting to exaggerate so I'll tone it back down.

After which, the principal went back to her office and called Kimberly asking our family not to do this anymore. It was not given out during the instruction time. She was expressing her first amendment right to speak about what she believed and wanted to persuade others to her point of view. If there had been a Muslim boy or Jehovah's Witness giving my children "stuff" I would have talked with my children about what we believe, discuss the material but I would never demand that the other children don't have the right to tell others what they believe.

It was the atheist Voltaire who said, "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

We live in a crazy world, that just doesn't make sense some times. But my kids resolve in their beliefs have only been strengthened not weakened. And they will not remain silent -- trust me, I try often.

The boys did something similar a while back:
bus stop evangelist part two

also here's the original bus stop evangelist entry
bus stop evangelist part one

0 comments:

Gospel Magic

Gospel Magic
how did he do that?

About Me

My photo
I am the father of four wonderful children and the husband of the best woman on the planet. I am pastor at Daybreak Community Church, check us out at www.daybreak-church.com. I also have a web site at www.drewboswell.com.

Connect With Drew

http://www.drewboswell.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/twitter.png

Aren't Getting Our Newsletter?

join our mailing list
* indicates required