Thursday, May 14, 2009

It seemed like a good idea at the time


So for Mother's Day I thought I had a great idea. Every year I go with the safe gifts for my wife (clothes, perfume, spa treatments, etc...) but this year as a I was in Wal-Mart (which should've been my first red flag) I had a brainstorm. There were other factors as to why I chose the gift I did. The economy is making it to where we need to cut expenses and an emphasis to "go green." There was also the idea that what I purchased -- we could do as a family. And we could teach our children how people used to do things way back when. So here we go .... I purchased Kimberly everything one needs to can fruits and some vegetables (water bath canning). I got her a giant pot, racks to hold the mason jars, mason jars of different sizes, packets of flavoring, accessories like tolls to pull the jars out, magnet to handle the lids coming out of boiling water, a funnel, and a book to explain how to can. As she opened all 7-8 separately packaged gifts I could tell it wasn't what she was looking for. It could have been her response when she said, "It looks like you got a great Father's Day gift." Anyway, I thought it was cool, but right now it is sitting in the garage because it's still too early in the growing season to can anything. So, our first round will be with strawberries.

1 comments:

Denise Portis said...

Oh wow... yeah, umm. If it involves work - even fun work? Let the woman come up with the idea and get it herself!

Oh dear! You are going to get "how to build a deck" book along with a few tools...

Gospel Magic

Gospel Magic
how did he do that?

About Me

My photo
I am the father of four wonderful children and the husband of the best woman on the planet. I am pastor at Daybreak Community Church, check us out at www.daybreak-church.com. I also have a web site at www.drewboswell.com.

Connect With Drew

http://www.drewboswell.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/twitter.png

Aren't Getting Our Newsletter?

join our mailing list
* indicates required