Saturday, January 5, 2008

Cabin Fever

Call it “Cabin Fever,” if you want, but I can’t seem to shake the desire to go camping. I’m not talking about the camping where you go to a cement slab in the woods (or should I say down a road), complete with running water and a bath house. That’s just being uncomfortable outside. I want to hike into some “real woods” where no one is around and decide where I want to put the tent. It’s the idea of being like the show, “man v. wild” There might just be a need for me to urinate on my t-shirt and wrap it around my head (let’s hope not). But you get my point, I want to really go camping and hiking.

It all started when Kimberly and I received some extra money at Christmas time. So, I got to thinking. The boys are old enough (at least by spring) to take on an overnight camping trip. This is something that I have wanted to do for sometime, it just never seems to work out. So I started shopping on the web. I found some great deals and now have about half of the “stuff” I think we need to start our expeditions. The only mistake I have made so far, is that I ordered three porcelain covered metal cups (the green or blue ones with the little white dots), but when they arrived they are smaller than an espresso cup. So they have been donated to H-G’s tea set. So the old saying is true, “little price, little cup.” – or at least that’s my new saying. We’ll see if it takes off.

Another reason for wanting to do this is I want the boys to be apart of Cub Scouts when they get to first grade, and eventually to Boy Scouts if they are interested. It may be we have this “camping trip” in the Spring, and that’s it – I hope not.

So I have read lots of articles on the web, I even spent an hour last week in Barnes & Nobles skimming through camping and hiking books. I even set up the tent I purchased in the basement, and have practiced packing the gear, and unpacking it again.

Now, I wait. Come on Spring.

By the way, if you know of some great spots, or where to get some good equipment let me know.

4 comments:

Dr. Terry Portis said...

Drew, a real man does not wait for Spring to go camping... he waits for SNOW. Then, after digging a pit for the fire, breaking through the frozen earth for grubs to eat, you go and wake up a hibernating bear.

If you get in trouble with this, and can get a signal, call me, I'll be by the fireplace.

Drew Boswell said...

Terry, very true -- but I don't think my five year olds would handle the frozen tundra very well -- at least that's my excuse for wanting everything to be relatively comfortable. Grubs, yuck.

Anonymous said...

Hi Drew,
You are welcome to borrow our camping equipment anytime you like! We tried the spring camping trip not to long after Nico was born - and have decided that it is worth the extra money to pay for a hotel:) 3 kids in the woods without electricity is not fun - at least not at bed time. The daytime was fun - it's when it gets dark out and you can't see, that things begin to get a little hairy - especially the going potty in the dark part:) So, our equipment is in retirement for now and is waiting to be used!!
As for stage two - I suggest a trip down the road to Little Bennett. Let's ease them in to this!

Anonymous said...

Well said.

Gospel Magic

Gospel Magic
how did he do that?

About Me

My photo
I am the father of four wonderful children and the husband of the best woman on the planet. I am pastor at Daybreak Community Church, check us out at www.daybreak-church.com. I also have a web site at www.drewboswell.com.

Connect With Drew

http://www.drewboswell.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/twitter.png

Aren't Getting Our Newsletter?

join our mailing list
* indicates required