Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Finally Some Words on a Page


It's been a while since I have written anything. it seems life stays at two ends of a pendulum. One one side is a lack of activity. There is nothing going on that is worth writing down, or telling "the world" about. Do you really want to read about the kids being sick? It seems that is what facebook is for. Then, without warning, the pendulum swings to the opposite end and life becomes a swirl of activity and overwhelming responsibility. Then there is no time to write about everything that is going on. (Hold on to your head, I'm going in a new direction)

Do you know why lion tamers in the circus use a chair and a whip? The whip is obvious, but can you really protect yourself with a kitchen chair? Notice that they point the four legs at the lion and twist it. The lion can not focus on any one leg, and tries to watch all four legs at the same time. It is the classic "paralysis by analysis." The mighty lion is held at bay and tamed, because it can't get focused.

Which is where discipline comes in. This is something that we all struggle with. I want to lose 20 pounds, so I have to be disciplined to work out and eat right. (Hold on let me wipe the potato chip grease of my fingers as I type). I want to retire at some point, so I have to be disciplined to put money away for later instead of spending it all now. I want to see God's power and presence in my life, so I have to be disciplined to read his Word, obey it's commands and walk in faith.

What are the things that you want to do? Where are the places you want to go? Who do you really want to become? Take some time to answer these questions -- it's harder than you may think. Set some goals, and follow them. Satan can tame the lion in your soul by keeping you reoccupied with silly things that you obviously have the power to overcome. Pick one thing, take care of it, then reach for another. You are more than a conqueror in Christ.

Romans 8:37-39 "No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord."

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the new look. Have to admit I had to look up the word, "pantifications". Not sure I still understand! (grin).

Thanks for the reminders about focusing!

Gospel Magic

Gospel Magic
how did he do that?

About Me

My photo
I am the father of four wonderful children and the husband of the best woman on the planet. I am pastor at Daybreak Community Church, check us out at www.daybreak-church.com. I also have a web site at www.drewboswell.com.

Connect With Drew

http://www.drewboswell.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/twitter.png

Aren't Getting Our Newsletter?

join our mailing list
* indicates required